We're Hiring! (03/08/2017)
We are seeking to make a new staff team appointment from January 2018 who will:
- Demonstrate godliness in their life and ministry
- Be part of the senior pastoral team
- Preach and lead services regularly
- Have oversight for small groups across the church
We want to appoint someone who shares our passion for gospel-focused and Christ-exalting ministry that will grow us as a community of believers.
Closing date for applications: 6th October 2017
Interviews: 19 October 2017
Thanksgiving Service for Colin Lown (02/08/2017)
Colin was one of the longest-standing members of Christ Church Cambridge, married to Joan who also went to glory some 18 months ago. Colin was involved in decades of building upkeep and major projects. This included the innovative centre floor splitting the building in two, which created double the amount of space for us to use and enjoy. Colin had a quiet, strong faith in his Lord Jesus, which we celebrated at Christ Church. It was great to see so many here giving thanks to God for his life, gentlemanly nature and humour.
Church Prayer Meeting (12/07/2017)
Just a quick round up of what we heard and prayed about at July's prayer meeting.
- Our mission-partners: Tim, Nicky and Josh Sandell who are serving with IFES in Volos and Larissa, Greece. We gave thanks for their two years in Greece, getting to know local and expat couples their own age, feeling more settled. We prayed specifically for the work with students, and not-yet believing friends. Also for their financial needs, with some shortfalls in the next budget. You can start giving to their work here.
- The Northstowe Church Plant is starting to gain momentum, as Josh Monteiro and team plan to start worshiping in this new community from 2018. Northstowe will be a huge development bigger than Huntington, Ely and Newmarket! If you live near the development and are interested in getting involved then click here.
Women's Weekend Away (07/07/2017)
Eagerly anticipated, 61 of us women from the Christ Church family managed to get away in July and spend the weekend together at Letton Hall in Shipdham, Norfolk. We were in for a treat! Carrie Sandom from St John’s Tunbridge Wells taught us from Hebrews 10-12 about Running the Race and keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus. It was a feast as we spent time in God’s word, heard testimonies and sang together. Plenty of time for catching up, meeting new friends and enjoying fabulous food. Fran and Amanda, our ministry trainees, did us proud! We were blessed with fantastic weather and were able to enjoy the grounds and walks around Letton Hall. The parlour games in the evening were also a real highlight! Thank you to all who came and made this weekend so memorable and fruitful.
New Trainee Ministry (13/06/2017)
We are excited to introduce Louis Chan, who will be joining the staff team from the 1 September and working alongside the other ministry trainees Amanda, John, Hannah and Hanna. Louis is married to Manyi, and has been working on a PhD. After spending considerable time in both Oxford and Cambridge worshiping and working with the Chinese church, Louis has been called into ministry, not only working with us for three days a week, but also starting a part-time course at Oak Hill theological college in London. Say hello to Louis and Manyi when you can!
Church Prayer Meeting (10/05/2017)
The May prayer meeting was a rich time of blessing, as we had the privilege to hear from and pray for the work of:
- Our mission-partner Margaret Rugira as she soon heads back out to Japan. Continue to pray for Margaret, currently in London as she prepares to go back to Japan, that the Lord would provide for this work.
- Sunday Club Darren gave us a good sense of the needs and direction of the Christ Church children's work. Continue to pray for Darren and the team as they reach out for new leaders to join in September.
- The church leadership and staff team Joel Dixon (one of the churchwardens) walked us through some of the thinking going into the church's shared purpose as we seek the Lord's help with our future planning. Continue to pray for the PCC and implementation group.
The Heart of Things (23/04/2017)
Between the 23 - 30 April we hosted a resident artist called Paul Hobbs, Paul seeks to communicate the gospel through many mediums of art which leave you pondering, wondering and scratching your head, enticing you to think hard about what the piece of art is saying. Paul, along with Christ Church, hosted many events throughout the week which saw around 1300 people through the doors to discover more. It was a great week: take a look at some of the pictures for yourself here.
It was great to gather for the annual meeting on Wednesday night. There is much to give thanks for but also much for us to do as we seek to serve Christ here in Cambridge. For those who weren’t able to make it, we wanted to let you know of the following election results:
- Vern Farewell
- Tim Ensor
(with a recommendation that Joel Dixon and Rob Smith serve alongside them as Deputy Wardens)
New PCC members
Deanery Synod reps
(who also join the PCC)
Website Launch (05/04/2017)
We are delighted to be launching the new Christ Church website at this year's annual meeting. The project started back in May 2017 as a small team from church was put together to completely redesign the website and add some new functionality. There are many new features including a members section - do contact the office to obtain the password if you are part of our church family.
Special thanks go to the web design company, 'There is something more', for their advice and delivering the project on time.
New Trainee Ministry (08/03/2017)
We are excited to introduce Hanna Stürcken, who will be joining the staff team from the 1 September and work alongside the other ministry trainees Amanda, Jon and Hannah. Hanna originally comes from Switzerland, and current lives in Cheltenham where she's finishing her studies in the arts. Do be praying for her as she prepares to make the move to Cambridge.